Any problem with your air conditioner is a cause for concern, however, not all problems present themselves in the same ways. Fortunately, you’ve got a set of ears! That’s right: one of the best ways to figure out if something is wrong with your air conditioner is by listening to it!
Often, strange noises are one of the first indicators of a problem, so below, we have listed some of the most frequently heard noises and what they might mean for your AC. All you’ve got to do is keep reading to find out more (and of course, remember to contact us to schedule your AC repair in Grand Rapids, MI with us!)
Be On the Lookout For These Sounds
Like we mentioned above, there are a number of sounds you definitely don’t want to hear coming from your AC. These include:
- Shrieking: Otherwise known as the sound of metal on metal, this sound can be indicative of a variety of motor problems. The most likely culprit is motor bearings that have worn down. If these bearings fail, the stress on the motor can permanently damage it. Our technicians can replace the bearings in order to rescue the motor.
- Grinding: This is another potential sign of motor problems, often from too much dust buildup or too little lubrication on the component. If this is paired with an acrid odor from the vents, be sure to shut off the air conditioner right away and call a pro, as your motor is very likely overheating.
- Rattling: This may be a minor problem—something like a loose cabinet door. However, it may also be that a component has come loose and is being knocked around, or a blower fan problem. It may be that you have bent fan blades, or even that the cabinet is coming loose from its slab. If you hear rattling coming from the ducts and not the actual cooling unit, then you likely have damaged ductwork, which is just as detrimental to system operation.
- Hissing: This is probably from a refrigerant leak, and can happen due to corrosion on the refrigerant lines. The hissing noise is an early sign of this problem—indicative of high-pressure gas escaping from the lines. You should ensure this is handled right away by a pro.
- Clicking: You may hear clicks occurring when your system starts up and when it cycles down. These clicks are normal. What’s not normal is consistent clicking or a “hard starting” air conditioner. This means that the system is struggling at powering the compressor—an issue you’ll want repaired right away.
- Clanging: This noise can be rather loud and alarming, and should of course never be ignored. It’s probably a loose fan belt (particularly if you have an aging system) or a bent air handler the fan blades are knocking into. It’s a good idea to shut the system down before there’s any more damage, and then call our pros.’
Schedule your air conditioning repairs with the team at GRmetro Heating and Cooling Inc. today! Prompt, Personal, Professional Service.