It’s that time of year again! We like to give our customers a “PSA” on the importance of an air filter change, especially when the temperatures start to shift from hot to cold. We’re getting some chilly nights these days, which means our furnaces are running to keep our homes warm and comfortable. If you’ve got a furnace system, or some other forced-air heating system, then you’re going to want to change your air filter soon.
Dirty furnace filters in Georgetown, MI can be the cause of a lot of different problems. The increase in strain can cause problems for the interior components of your furnace, while the extra energy used will allow for the system to become inefficient. We’re going to go over the various different ways a dirty, unchanged air filter can cause problems below. Make the right choice for your home and change out the air filter when the time is right.
How to Change the Filter
The air filter is one of the few system components that we actually encourage homeowners to change out themselves. It’s easy enough to do, doesn’t require any tools, and it can be done in about five minutes correctly. It’s really that easy!
Here’s our step-by-step guide to changing your air filter.
- Turn off the HVAC system before doing anything else.
- Find the return air duct of the HVAC system. This is the air duct that’s leading into your furnace, where the filter is located.
- Locate the filter. Take note of the direction the filter is facing, and the arrow on your filter that will remind you.
- Replace the filter with one that’s the same size and clean. If your furnace filter is reusable, simply clean it off with a damp wash cloth or a paper towel.
- Put the new filter back in and make sure it’s facing the same way the old one was.
- Turn the HVAC system back on and enjoy the difference!
Remember, if you get caught up in this process or feel like your filter might be different, call our team for support!
Benefits of a Filter Change
Changing the filter will do a lot to maintain high efficiency and furnace performance. The system will run smoother, getting access to fresh and clean air at a regular rate. Changing the air filter will also protect the interior components from getting dirty or damaged, which is a big deal for those who are worried about their gas furnace breaking down or becoming unsafe.
Sign Up for Maintenance
Need help or some guidance on changing your system’s air filter? You can always call us!
One great way to deal with the first filter change of the season is by scheduling a maintenance appointment. Our team can provide you with seasonal maintenance, but we can also change your air filter at the same time. This means you can ask us any questions you might have about this process while we’re there.
Or, just give our team a call and ask us whatever questions you might have. We’re happy to help!